Monday, September 8, 2014

DaVaughn's Cola Beef Short Ribs with Snow Peas and Mashed Sweet Potatoes

IMG_5795.JPG
After the 3rd glaze
This is one of the recipes that I will continue to use over the next UMTEEN years. I mean, you guys know how much I love meat, right? So just imagine, fall off the bone tender and flavorful meat that boasts a mouthwatering succulent look for the presentation. I am all over this one.
Back story:
DaVaughn made these ribs for me after a fun trip to the farm to pick some blueberries and cherries in the summer of 2013. We decided to do a Potluck to extend our time together on that fine Sunday evening. The two guests brought sides and desserts and the host (DaVaughn) took care of beverage and entree. I brought some roasted brussel sprouts with onion and bacon and Mike, the other guest brought a nicely seasoned cheesy rice and a corn and cream dessert. All delicious but the star of the evening was the meat, so let's get back on track.
I started with just one piece, in fact, we all started with just one piece of this deliciousness and then it was like a race to finish it off. One bite into the meat and were rejoiced, the symphony started and shouted YES, YEs, Yes, yes, DaVaughn,  "what the February" just happened? How did you make these? Recipe please? Hold on, let me grab another piece while you talk. I might be exaggerating here, but the ribs are so freaking good. And, better than any ribs that I'd ever made. Needless to say, I made my version the weekend after, and have been treating my special guests to these ribs if I feel they deserve it :). No hate mails if I haven't yet cook these for you please. Here's my version of DaVaughn's recipe- crock-pot style.
Ingredients
2 lbs of Beef Short Ribs
1 Can of beef Stock
1 Can of Beef Consomme
1 Can Pepsi or Coke
Trio of Herb - (Thyme, Oregano, Rosemary)
1 Small Onion
2 Stalks of Celery
1 Jalapeno
1 Parsnip
1 Carrot
Salt and Pepper
Snow Peas
Sweet Potatoes
Butter
 
IMG_5789.JPG
All in, time for fun
Method
Chop all of the veggies and add to crock-pot along with the herbs, stock, consomme and half of the soda. Turn crock-pot  to high, cover and allow the veggies to warm up. While the veggies heat up, remove excess fat from the ribs and season with salt and pepper. Broil for 5 minutes on one side and flip and broil for another 5 minutes on the other side. Add to the crock-pot, turn the temperature to low and allow to cook for 9-10 hours. You want to ensure that the meat touches the bottom so make way and get them to cook in the liquid. I started this right before work and I got home in time to do the finishing touches 9 1/2 hours later.
What DaVaugh does to make that glistening glaze. Remove ribs and set aside on an oven tray. Bring the liquid to a deep pot and cook for 5 minutes, stir and season as needed. Strain into a saucepan and add the remaining soda. Allow to simmer until it starts to get syrupy. Remove from heat at this time and brush the ribs liberally. Bake for 5 minutes. Repeat the glaze and baking process 1 more time and then add glaze a third time and broil for 2 minutes to lock in the sauce and add more color. Remove from oven and let cool. Drizzle with remaining sauce and serve with Snow Peas (I used the same recipe to cook this Sugar Snap Peas so you can just substitute the vegetables) and Mashed Sweet Potatoes. Roast potatoes until tender. Cut open and scoop out the flesh, add salt and butter and mash with a fork. Dinner is ready my dear, thanks to me and D.
 
IMG_5796.JPG
Super Tender and Yummy Beef Short Ribs Dinner
 
BNW~ and DVB~
 

No comments:

Post a Comment