Thursday, March 27, 2014

Jamaican Peanut Porridge

I am long over due for a yummy breakfast recipe. I made delicious Chai Pancakes and Bacon on Saturday and decided to do a full blown Jamaican breakfast the next day. There a few recipes out there that has more of everything else, than the peanuts, so I went in a direction that I remember my friend Nicole went with hers (I guess it is a old country style of cooking) with ingredients that I could get. Not much to talk about with this one besides the fact that it is not for everyone. If you have a problem with textures (my partner....clears throat) you probably won't lick the bowl. It's packed with protein, vitamins and deliciousness so that's key for me, and I love textures, the nuttier or chunkier the better.
The stuff
Image
And then I had to bring out the tool...
Image
Ingredients
1 Lb of Raw Peanuts
1 Can of Coconut Milk
1/4 Cup of Sugar
2 Packets of Oatmeal
2 Tbsp of Condensed Milk
1 Tsp of Vanilla
1 Tsp of Nutmeg
1/2 Tsp of Cinnamon
Pinch of Salt
Method
Blend the two packets of oatmeal, the peanuts and 4 cups of water. Meanwhile, bring a cup of water to boil in a deep pot and add the blended mixture to it. Cook for about 15 minutes and then add the coconut milk and cook for another 15 minutes.
Image
Adding some yummy coconut milk
Sweeten with sugar and condensed milk and spice it up nutmeg (THIS IS A MUST), cinnamon, vanilla and a pinch of salt. If it is too thin, mix a Tbsp of cornstarch in cold water and add to porridge, and cook for an extra minute while you stir. Mine was a little too thin and I had to use the cornstarch. If you had a green plantain, you could blend it with the oatmeal and peanuts as this would work as another flavorful thickening agent. Nicole used this in her recipe, for the record.
Nice bowl of Peanut Porridge:
Image
Jamaican Peanut Porridge
Give it a try, it's very filling, nutty, and nutritious.
BNW~

No comments:

Post a Comment