Monday, December 17, 2012

Acorn Squash with Apple Cinnamon Pecan Topping

I made this dish for one of the thanksgiving dinners I attended with my sister Tuedy. She offered to help me out, which she did, by tasting and giving me thumbs up. This delicious, you should try it.

Acorn squash is not very popular, simply because people don't have many recipes to choose from. So, with this in mind, I'm skipping the Jamaican touch and just creating a recipe using ingredients around me.

Ingredients:
2 acorn squash
1/2 Granny Smith apple
3 tbsp of butter
3 tbsp of brown sugar
1 cup of chopped pecans
1 tbsp of honey
Olive oil
Salt
Cinnamon

Method
Cut squash in half and remove seeds. Wash and pat dry. Slice squash along the lines to make little pegs. Brush the slices with olive oil and sprinkle with salt; bake for 30 minutes or until tender.

Topping:

Melt butter and sugar in a sauce pan. Dice apple and add to the mixture. Simmer for 2 minutes to allow the apple flavor to come alive. Add the chopped pecan, honey and cinnamon and summer for another 2 minutes. Add more butter if the sauce is too thick.

Pour topping over the slices of acorn squash and serve. Yum yum.

You can also use maple and walnut instead of the brown sugar and pecan. This was my original intention but Alexis, my friend, hated both maple syrup and walnuts. So I tweaked it.





No comments:

Post a Comment